Saturday 15 September 2012

{Recipe} Carrot and turnip mash


I love my veggies.
Now this is a strange thing coming from me as I never liked them much as a child.
But this is one of my favourite side dishes to have with dinner and the kids love it too.

Carrot and Turnip mash
Cut up the carrots and turnip into small chunks.
Boil in slightly salted water until you can pierce with a knife.
Drain off the water.
(don't throw it away, you'll use it again)
Return the veg to the pan and cook off the excess water. (Only takes a few seconds)
Add a knob of butter and season with salt and white pepper.
(trust me when I say use white pepper. Works way better. Or so the hubs tells me)

This works great with bacon, chicken or beef.


As for the water you boiled the veg in, you can use it to make gravy and freeze it to use as stock in soups it the future. At lot of the vitamins and nutrients are lost in the water when you boil them. By using them to make gravy or a sauce you get some of them back.

Hope you like it.

Happy weekend!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...