Tuesday 5 March 2013

Buttermilk scones : Tried and Tasted Link-up


I have been baking scones since I was a child. It was one of the first things I learned how to bake. I love nothing more than a hot scone with butter and jam. I always used a recipe that called for an egg but the hubs recently found that anything with egg in it kinda kills him. So, I had to find a new recipe.

 Here area few tips I pick up while looking foe my new recipe.
Always sift your flour
Do not rub the flour and butter in too much.
 Do not knead to mix the dough, mix it with a pair of chopsticks.
 Do not roll the dough but pat it into shape.
Bake on high temperature of 225C for less than 15 minutes. 

Ingredients:
200g self-raising flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
50g cold butter cut into small pieces
150ml buttermilk
Some milk for glacing


Method:
1. Sieve flour into a big mixing bowl, stir in the salt. Rub in the butter till crumbs-liked (do not over do this part). Stir in the sugar.
2. Make a well in the middle of the flour mixture, pour in the buttermilk, holding back a little just in case it is too much. Stir to mix with a knife. Dough should be sticky.
3. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured working surface. Pat dough into 2cm thick. When working on this, if dough is too dry, add in the buttermilk which is on hold.
4. Cut dough with 5.5cm floured cutter. Pressed cutter firmly onto dough and do not twist or turn the cutter.
5. Glaze the surface of each scone with some milk. I also sprinkled a little sugar on the top.
6. Bake on a floured tray in a preheated oven at 220 - 225 for 13 - 15 minutes.
7. Serve warm strawberry jam.

As you can see, mine kinda flopped. There are a few reasons for that. My mothers oven only goes up to 200C so that didn't help. Also I used a glass instead of a cutter and I probably made them too big.`



And even though they did flop, it didn't matter. They tasted amazing! 
I will never use any other recipe again.


Welcome to week 3 of Tried and Tasted. My weekly link-up where you link up a new or old recipe and share it with my readers.

Grab the button or link back to my blog.





2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this- YUM YUM. My husband can't take dairy. I usually use coconut milk and it's quite expensive- do you think it would work in a scone mix? I don't want to go wasting the milk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura. Thanks for stopping by my little blog. I personally haven't used coconut milk to bake but I just found a recipe for Coconut Milk Blueberry scones. Here's the link to where I found it. Hope it helps.

      http://myboyfriendskitchen.wordpress.com/2013/02/06/coconut-milk-blueberry-scones/

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...