Thursday 30 May 2013

Room for Improvement Challenge : Boys Car bedroom Makeover



A blog-friend recently posted on Irish Parenting Bloggers forum on Facebook about an online competition she was entering, organised by MoneySupermarket.
 If your an Irish blogger and your not a member of this group, go join it now. Fantastic group of bloggers over there. 

Back to the competition. The deal was this : you registered your interest and they sent you £50 (almost €60). Sounds good?
With that money you got to give a room in your home a makeover. Even better.
Then blog about it, explaining how you did it and how far you stretched the money.
And not only that, but you would be in with a chance of winning £500 B&Q vouchers. 

I knew I was up for the challenge. I love to see how far a can stretch my money.
I knew what room I was going to makeover the second I saw this. My sons room. He has been sleeping in what was the spare room since he moved into his cot. And it still looks like the spare room, just with a cot in it. It's the catch all room. If I'm being honest, the single bed was covered in baskets of clothes waiting to be folded before I took this picture.


I had three goals when I was doing this makeover. 
1. Make this room a BOY room. I wanted anyone who walked into the room to know that a boy slept here.
2. To have cute and functional storage.
3. To decorate it in a way that he could grow up in it. I wanted to get a few years out of this room.

I chose a car theme. This boy loves cars. I picked up the duvet set in Tesco. That's right, I said Tesco. I was a bit unsure of how good the quality would be but for the price I couldn't have asked for better. It cost me €12.50 and this is where my inspiration came from.


I had the paint left over from another project. It's Crown Breatheasy. Not sure of the colour. It was worn off the tin. It went with the theme of the room perfectly. I got the cute rug (above)  and storage boxes (below) in Argos. They cost €31.49.



 I used a bit of left over wood for the shelves and paid €4 for the brackets to hang it. The prints in the frames came from the internet and the frames cost €4 in the pound shop. The curtains were free from a friend.


 The prints in the frames came from the internet and the frames cost €4 in the pound shop. I think they tie the theme together.


In to total I spent €51.99. The rest went into the little guys piggy back for his first real car. Ha!
I'm so happy with the way it turned out and I'm sure that my little guy will have many years of fun growing up in this room.


I'm also linking up with Mandy @ House of Rose Blog for her blog hop "Inspire Me Please Weekend".



Disclosure: Thanks to Money Supermarket for providing the £50/€60 for this makeover challenge. I was in no other way compensated for this post. All opinions are my own.


5 comments:

  1. Great job! Bet he loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the blue wall, makes a great feature in the room! He is sure to get many years out of this, well done :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice boys bedroom. It always makes a difference placing some blue themes around (curtains, rugs, bed sheets) and stickers, pictures on the walls or other decorative elements.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonder bedroom makeover idea..
    I have similar for superman theme. But I love this...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...