Thursday 13 June 2013

Healthy Shepherds pie



I have always loved Shepherds pie but I never liked the greasy feeling it left in my mouth.
I also didn't the idea of all that frying of the mince. The fat in it used to kill the Hubs with his stomach.

So, I came up with a healthier and tastier{in my opinion} version.
What's my secret??

Well, it's not a big secret. All I do is boil my mince instead of frying it.

Here's what you'll need:
400g beef mince
handful of frozen peas
1 onion, finely chopped
2 carrots, grated
1 sweet potato, grated
beef stock cube
1 packet of Knorr Mealmaker shepherds pie
700g of mashed potatoes
Ketchup

Firstly, I don't buy mince. I don't like it. I don't like not knowing what is in it. So, I buy chuck/neck/rib steak and mince it in my food processor at home.
Boil your mince with a stock cube in the water.
When the meat is nearly cooked, add your frozen peas.
Drain off the water.
Add the onions and fry off in the pot. Don't add oil.
Add your carrots ans sweet potato and mix.
Follow you packet instructions and add the water required to the pot and add the powder mix.
Simmer for about 10 minutes and add the ketchup.
When it's ready, put it in an over proof dish and top with your mashed potato and cook until your mash is golden and crispy.

It turns out much more creamy and there is on oil or fat in it. 
It become a huge hit in our house and the Hubs doesn't complain of a tummy ache after eating it anymore.


If you try this recipe ,I would love to hear about it? Did you like it? Leave a comment and let me know.

Thanks for stopping by!

3 comments:

  1. Have you tried dry frying the mince on a non-stick pan? You get great flavour from the meat when it's golden brown and then strain off any of the fat when it's cooked. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Caitriona, Ya I tried the dry frying but it still causes Mr.E to have stomach problems. Boiling it is the only way that works. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. yum i love shepherd's pie! instead of using the meal maker packets i use a tin of chopped tomatoes as well as the beef stock xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...